Take Action: Support Employment Protections for LGBT Texansby
While Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and some of his Senate cronies seem hellbent on passing anti-LGBT discrimination laws, House members have a chance to take a different direction this week.
On Tuesday the House Business and Industry Committee will consider HB850 , which updates the state’s employment nondiscrimination laws to include protections for LGBT Texans.
It’s rare when a Texas legislative committee considers such a positive, pro-equality bill. So it’s critical that we show committee members that there is broad support for equality for all Texans regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
You can support Rep. Eric Johnson’s HB850 in two ways:
- Sign up to testify at the committee hearing on Tuesday. The committee will meet at 10:30 a.m. or on adjournment of the House in E2.016 in the Capitol extension.
- Place a call to members of the House Business and Industry Committee to express your support for HB850 (contact info provided below).
To support HB850, tell committee members:
- It’s past time to send a clear message to the rest of the country that discrimination isn’t a Texas value.
- Protecting people from discrimination is about treating others as we all want to be treated – fairly, equally and with respect. But it’s shocking that our state’s nondiscrimination laws don’t protect LGBT Texans from being fired just because of who they are or whom they love.
- Most people want to do the right thing and treat others equally. But nondiscrimination laws are necessary to set a clear standard that discrimination has no place in our state.
- Even though we all may have different beliefs, what’s most important is focusing on what we have in common. Updating our state’s nondiscrimination laws will help ensure that all people in our state – including LGBT Texans – have the opportunity to earn a living and be judged solely on job performance as an employee. LGBT people should be treated like anyone else and not be discriminated against.
Members of the House Business and Industry Committee
Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer (chair) — (512) 463-0616
Rep. Drew Darby (vice chair) — (512) 463-0331
Rep. Michelle Beckley — (512) 463-0478
Rep. Nicole Collier — (512) 463-0716
Rep. Brooks Landgraf — (512) 463-0546
Rep. Joe Moody — (512) 463-0728
Rep. Tan Parker — (512) 463-0688
Rep. Jared Patterson — (512) 463-0694
Rep. Hugh Schine — (512) 463-0630