As 2009 draws to a close today, we reflect on what has been a very busy year for the Texas Freedom Network. And we’re asking for your support for our work in 2010. A few generous TFN donors have established a 2009 Matching Gift Challenge. Every dollar you donate before midnight tonight will be matched dollar-for-dollar – up to the $50,000 limit of our matching gift.
What will your support help TFN accomplish in the coming year? Just consider what we did together in 2009:
- In February we made national news with the release of our groundbreaking report on the shocking failure of Texas to provide responsible sex education in our public schools. That report is helping build critical momentum behind statewide efforts to ensure that Texas students learn medically accurate, age-appropriate information about responsible pregnancy and disease prevention.
- We blocked far-right efforts in Texas to kill embryonic stem cell research — medical research that gives hope to patients and their families struggling with serious and life-threatening medical conditions like spinal cord injuries, Parkinson’s disease, diabetes and cancer. If far-right lawmakers had succeeded, they would have banned this promising medical research — even if it were privately funded — at publicly funded facilities. And they have certainly not stopped trying.
- We exposed the irresponsible campaign by radical creationists on the Texas State Board of Education to dumb down instruction on evolution in public school science classrooms. We will redouble our efforts to protect sound science education when science textbooks are up for adoption in Texas in 2011.
- We helped block the renomination of an anti-science extremist as chair of the Texas State Board of Education.
- We joined once again with other supporters of public education in slamming the door on private school voucher schemes in the Texas Legislature.
- Right now TFN is engaged in another critical debate over the future of our children’s education, as far-right extremists try to rewrite history and politicize social studies classrooms. That battle will stretch well into 2010.
The Texas Freedom Network can continue its important work on these and other critical issues only with the support of people like you. So please consider joining our ongoing efforts to support sound science, strong public schools, religious freedom and individual liberties. Click here to make your 2009 gift to TFN today.