Because of redistricting, all 15 seats on the Texas State Board of Education will be up for grabs in the November 2012 elections. The results of those elections will determine whether the religious right’s corrosive influence over public education will weaken or grow as the board considers what the next generation of public school students in Texas will learn about sex education, social studies, science and other subjects. We plan to publish on TFN Insider candidate announcements for a seat on the SBOE. We will publish announcements in no particular order, and their publication does not constitute any sort of endorsement by TFN. We will redact requests for contributions or mentions of fundraising events from the announcements, but we will provide links to the candidates’ websites (if available).
Geraldine “Tincy” Miller, District 12, R-Dallas
(Current District 12 Board Member: George Clayton, R-Richardson)
Geraldine “Tincy” Miller recently announced on her website her intent to seek the SBOE District 12 seat she held from 1984-2010. Miller will challenge current District 12 board member George Clayton — who defeated Miller in 2010 — in the Republican primary.
• Previously served for 26 years on the SBOE(1984-2010).
• Four years served as Chairman (2003-2007) confirmed by Senate.
• Earned BS degree from Southern Methodist University.
• Earned Master’s degree in Reading – Texas A&M/Commerce.
• Trained and taught in the Reading Laboratory at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital under Dr. Lucius Waites.
• Married to Vance Miller – they have 4 children and 8 grandchildren.
Tincy Miller Believes:
• We must teach our children the basics of our education system.
• We must make certain that our textbooks are historically and factually accurate and not politically correct.
• We must protect our dedicated Children’s Texbook Fund (PSF) for its intended purpose and not let it be raided by Austin politicians for other purposes.
The Tincy Miller Record:
• Helped facilitate the passage of the first Dyslexia Law in Texas and established the first parent-teacher Dyslexia Handbook.
• Helped implement the phonics-based state curriculum in our Texas schools.
•v Protected our dedicated Children’s Textbook Fund (PSF) from special interest groups who wanted to raid it.
• Improved textbook review and adoption process by having teachers review the books in their subject specialty…correcting 7,000 errors.
• I pledge to be a strong conservative leader and promote an agenda that emphasizes teaching the basics…we must be factually and historically correct instead of politically correct.
I welcome your suggestions, advice and support.
2 thoughts on “SBOE Candidate: Geraldine “Tincy” Miller”
Clayton seems definitely preferable over Miller, but he has an uphill fight for the GOP renomination.
Tincy seemed like a moderate at one time, but she was seduced by the dark side of the force.