Not everyone was in a festive mood for Evolution Weekend this year. While more than a thousand religious congregations from a wide variety of faith traditions gathered last weekend to celebrate a more positive relationship between religion and science, the Dallas-based Institute for Creation Research (ICR) wanted no part of it.
In fact, the ICR used the occasion to broadcast their belief that any Christian who accepts evolution is inviting “swift destruction,” even implying that pastors who participated in Evolution Weekend are “false teachers…who privily shall bring in damnable heresies.” (Apparently they continue to speak the “King’s English” over at the ICR, naturally preferring the King James Bible.) Read the latest e-mail alert from our young earth creationist friends at the ICR after the jump.
February 12, 2009
“But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.” (2 Peter 2:1)
Thousands of clergy have signed “An Open Letter Concerning Religion and Science.” On the Sunday closest to Charles Darwin’s birthday, these “pastors” eulogize him and endorse evolutionary science as compatible with the Bible. Here are five reasons why this idea is grossly wrong.
• The Bible has absolutely no hint of ages of evolutionary development. Forcing the “days” of Genesis 1 to mean “ages” can be done, but there is no support for that idea in the rest of Scripture (Psalm 33:6-9, 148:5-6; John 1:1-3; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:3; Revelation 4:11; etc.).
• Evolution is not observed at all today. Empirical science is based on observation and verification. Nothing (from bacteria to people) is “evolving” into a “higher order.” Period.
• Fossil data does not show any transitional forms. If evolution occurred prior to recorded history, it can only be documented by the fossils embedded in the water-deposited rocks of earth. Those “missing links” are still missing.
• God’s character absolutely forbids evolutionary methods. God’s holiness demands truth, and His omniscience demands perfection. He cannot know what is best and then “create” something inferior. He wrote that He took six days to create the universe (Exodus 20:11). And He cannot lie!
• God’s stated purpose for creating excludes evolution. The creation reveals the Creator (Romans 1:20, Psalm 19:1-4), gives authority to the message of Jesus Christ (John 1:1-14, Colossians 1:16-18), and is the foundation for the gospel and for worship (Revelation 14:6-7). Creating is what God does at the moment of the new birth (Ephesians 2:8-10). HMM III