#StopSB6: Tuesday’s Public Hearing on the Anti-Transgender Discrimination Bill in the Texas Senateby
The avalanche of anti-LGBT discrimination bills has begun to move in the Texas Legislature. The Senate State Affairs Committee has set a hearing at 8 a.m., Tuesday, March 7, for Senate Bill 6, a bill that specifically targets transgender Texans for discrimination.
Here’s everything you need to know to prepare for the hearing. For SB6 hearing updates, text “SB6” to 97779.
How can you testify at the hearing?
The hearing begins at 8 a.m., Tuesday, March 07, 2017, in Room E1.036 of the Texas Capitol Extension.
- The committee will have a table outside the hearing room for people to register to testify. The clerks at the table will explain the procedure.
- If you simply want to register your position on the bill or provide written testimony without speaking at the hearing, you can register at one of the electronic kiosks in the hallway behind the hearing room.
- If you also want to submit written testimony, give 20 copies to the committee clerk with your name on each copy.
- Public testimony will be limited to 2 minutes per person.
- We expect the hearing room will be full. So be prepared to wait a while for your turn to testify. The committee plans to have overflow rooms available.
The hearing will begin with invited testimony only. You can expect the committee to hear from some of the most vile and offensive anti-LGBT lobbyists and activists in the state.
What does SB6 do?
SB6 forbids city and other local governments from passing nondiscrimination measures that protect the freedom of transgender people to use public restrooms or changing facilities that are appropriate for their gender identity. Even worse, the bill actually requires discrimination. It bars transgender people from using public restrooms that are appropriate for them in public schools, universities and other government buildings.
What do you tell the committee?
Please give your name and your hometown when you start your testimony so that committee members know that people are coming from all over the state. The key message is that this bill is discrimination.
Join the press event
Come to the #StopSB6 press event at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday. This is planned for the outdoor rotunda in the Capitol Extension, not far from the hearing room. You can bring signs and provide support as press conference speakers explain to reporters why the Legislature should #StopSB6.
Amplify on social media
Share this post and other information about SB6 on Facebook, Twitter and other social media. Use the hashtags #StopSB6 and #YallMeansAll.
If you have questions on the day of the hearing, look for someone in a gray T-shirt with a name tag that says “Equality Coalition Staffer.”
We will have a hospitality room at E2.1006 with staffers, extra T-shirts for supporters and refreshments throughout the day.
Don’t forget: text “SB6” to 97779 for updates throughout the day.