Dan Patrick’s attempt to strip Texas workers and LGBTQ people of basic protections is heading to the Texas House.
We need your help.
The Patrick-backed collection of bills — SB 2485, 2486, 2487 and 2488 — have already cleared the Senate and will take their first step in the House, in the State Affairs Committee, this Wednesday.
The four bills would:
- Overturn local policies that grant workers the opportunity to earn paid sick time
- Imperil local nondiscrimination ordinances that protect LGBTQ Texans
- Overturn “ban the box” policies that help the formerly incarcerated who have paid their debt to society re-enter the workforce
We have two ways you can help kill these bills.
1) Come testify: One of the most of effective ways to affect legislation is for lawmakers to hear directly from you. The State Affairs Committee meets at 8 a.m. in room E2.014 of the Capitol extension.
2) Call Rep. Phelan: As chairman of the committee, Rep. Phelan could refuse to let the bills advance any further. Call Rep. Phelan’s office at 512-463-0706 and tell them you oppose the four bills.
Cities across Texas over several years took great care in passing these local ordinances and Patrick needs to step messing with our communities.
Whether you do it in person or over the phone, please tell lawmakers you oppose all four bills because you support local control, working Texans and the LGBTQ community.