This year the State Board of Education is revising social studies curriculum standards for Texas public schools. Board members turned the last revision of these standards into a political circus. They made hundreds of changes to promote their own personal and political biases, including:
- Glorifying Confederate heroes and downplaying slavery as the cause of the Civil War
- Pushing a religious agenda
- Suggesting that civil rights gains may have had negative consequences for society
- Neglecting coverage of Native American and Mexican American history
- Promoting conservative stances on government, taxation and regulation
Our public school classrooms aren’t the place for elected officials to push their political agendas.