Work for TFN: Regional Field Organizer (Houston)by
The Texas Freedom Network, a statewide, nonprofit organization seeks a full-time Regional Field Organizer. The Texas Freedom Network is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization of religious and community leaders that advances a mainstream agenda supporting public education, religious freedom and civil liberties.
The Regional Field Organizer will work to expand the overall outreach efforts of the organization with an emphasis on organizing students on college campuses in the greater Houston and Dallas areas. This position will be based in Houston, Texas. Activities include: recruiting student organizers, building grassroots power, and implementing issue-based advocacy and civic engagement campaigns. The Regional Field Organizer will assist in training the next generation of progressive leaders in Texas by strengthening and expanding our Texas Rising Student Chapters in the Houston and Dallas areas. The project areas will include:
Youth Advocacy and Civic Engagement
- Coordinate TFN student chapters on targeted campuses in the Houston and Dallas area
- Provide direct assistance with organizational and field operations
- Implement voter engagement and issue advocacy campaigns related to issues such as abortion access, LGBTQ equality, and support for quality public schools.
- Travel frequently to student chapter campuses in Houston and Dallas to assist in planning and execution of grassroots issue advocacy campaign plans and events
- Create innovative approaches for expanding the TFN Texas Rising membership base
- Prepare and lead youth advocacy and organizing trainings
- Perform public speaking at outreach events
- Serve as TFN representative at events, conferences and meetings
- Design and execute regional member acquisition goals in Houston and Dallas
- Identify and cultivate leaders in the progressive community
- Coordinate field operations for grassroots campaigns
- Develop and maintain relationships with partner organizations and allies
- Build participation in all TFN events through various outreach strategies, including email alerts to TFN members and allies, coalition building, phone-banking and social media
Special Events and Projects
- Coordinate logistics of TFN outreach events, including trainings, visibility events, speaker forums and lobby days
- Coordinate logistics of issue forums and all other events hosted by TFN and Texas Rising student chapters
- Travel to participate in meetings with TFN members, allied organizations, and coalitions throughout the state
- Provide assistance to Outreach & Field Manager
Extensive travel and sometimes working long and/or irregular hours are required. This position reports directly to the Outreach and Field Manager and is based in Houston, though travel to Dallas and the TFN headquarters in Austin will be required.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Applicants must have at least two years grassroots organizing, field, campaign or nonprofit experience; be well organized, resourceful and persistent; possess excellent verbal and written communication skills; and demonstrate a commitment to the progressive values, mission and goals of the organization. Demonstrated public speaking and training ability is important. Prior experience and a firm understanding of government, the legislative process, civic engagement, political advocacy are crucial.
Applicants must be highly motivated self-starters who are able to work independently and in a team environment and have a strong commitment to social justice. Experience working in the Voter Activation Network is preferred. Entrepreneurial spirit is a plus. Fluency in Spanish, both oral and written is preferred.
COMPENSATION: Annual salary is highly competitive; excellent benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) plan, generous paid vacation, personal leave and holidays.
TO APPLY: Email cover letter, resume and three references to Nick Savelli, Outreach and Field Manager, email@example.com Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 21
The Texas Freedom Network/Texas Freedom Network Education Fund is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages people of color, ethnic minorities, women, and individuals from the LGBTQ community to apply.