Join the TFN Team: Political Directorby
The Texas Freedom Network and Texas Freedom Network Education Fund seek a full-time Political Director based in Austin, but with the willingness and ability to engage in work and coalitions throughout Texas.
The Texas Freedom Network is a 501c4 statewide non-partisan, grassroots organization that is building an informed and effective movement working toward equality and social justice.
The Political Director will develop and coordinate an electoral plan for TFN – and our affiliated 501c3 organization, the Texas Freedom Network Education Fund – and will work closely with the Field Director to coordinate voter engagement activities across the state. The Political Director will also coordinate local, legislative and executive policy advocacy to advance the mission of both organizations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the leadership team to develop, coordinate and implement campaign strategy for local, state legislative, State Board of Education and other issue-based campaigns
- Develop and implement the legislative strategy and act as TFN’s primary lobbyist
- Build relationships with policy makers at the city, county and state level, as well as partner organizations, donors, and allies
- Work with the leadership team to develop a statewide electoral strategy that advances the strategic goals of TFN and TFNEF, including candidate endorsements
- Monitor all campaign activities to ensure compliance with state and US federal election, ethics and tax laws
- Work with the field team to plan, execute and report on the success of all civic engagement work
- Collaborate with the communications and outreach teams on messaging for electoral and legislative campaigns
- Serve as TFN representative at events, conferences and meetings, including public speaking engagements
Extensive travel and sometimes working long and/or irregular hours are required. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Qualifications and Skills
Applicants must have previous experience with managing election-related field programs; at least two years grassroots organizing, campaign or nonprofit experience; be well organized, resourceful and persistent; possess excellent verbal and written communication skills; and demonstrate a commitment to the progressive values, mission and goals of the organization. Demonstrated public speaking and training ability is important. Prior experience and a firm understanding of government, the legislative process, civic engagement, political advocacy are crucial.
Applicants must be highly motivated self-starters who are able to work independently and in a team environment. Entrepreneurial spirit is a plus. Fluency in Spanish is preferred.
Annual salary is highly competitive; excellent benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) plan, generous paid time off.
Email cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Texas Freedom Network/Texas Freedom Network Education Fund is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages people of color, ethnic minorities, women, and individuals from the LGBTQ community to apply.